People Like Us: Inside Philadelphia
Every trip begins and ends as a pedestrian trip — whether walking to a bus stop or across a parking lot to your car.
ACCORDING TO OKLAHOMA STATE LAW
A Pedestrian Is:
“Any person who is a foot or who is using a wheelchair or a means of conveyance propelled by human power other than a bicycle.”
People ask me all the time…
“Why advocate for Pedestrian Awareness Crosswalk Education?”
“It’s imperative to understand the needs and characteristics of pedestrians. The universal factors that affect pedestrian travel are important BECAUSE they impact the design of pedestrian facilities in our communities.”-Terence Morris, Founder, PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION. 2018.
Accessible Pedestrian Signals and detectors provide information in a non-visual format by offering both audible and vibrotactile walk indications.
People ask me…
“Why Study Pedestrian Accidents?
“Analysis of pedestrian motor-vehicle collisions can help establish engineering, education, and enforcement technology solutions.”-Terence Morris, Founder, PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION. 2018.
MOST PEDESTRIAN COLLISIONS HAPPEN BECAUSE OF 1 OR MORE OF THESE 8 REASONS:
• Driver inattention
• Struck by vehicle while crossing at an intersection (50 percent of all
• Person struck by vehicle while crossing mid-block (33 percent of all collisions)
• Struck from behind while walking along the roadway in the same
direction as traffic (particularly in rural areas)
• Motorist exceeding safe speed (contributes to most pedestrian deaths)
• Darting out into the street at mid-block (most common type of pedestrian collision for children)
• Vehicles backing up (difficult to see children and others walking behind)
• Collisions in urban areas (80 percent of all collisions)
Sources: Oklahoma Transportation, PACETULSA AGS FOUNDATION, Tulsa World.
Safety Board; Pedestrian and
Bicycle Crash Types of the Early 1990s; (Snyder, Knoblauch, Moore, Schmitz; Cross and Fisher)
Top 10 Trending 2018
COPYRIGHT© 2019 | PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION. “Pedestrian Awareness Crosswalk Education is an online think-tank intersecting awareness of public transportation policy in the United States.”