MID-SECTION BARRIERS & DART OUT INJURIES. BY TERENCE MORRIS AUTHOR , AND FOUNDER PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION. JAN. 31, 2019. 1:02 P.M. Join PACE TULSA NOW…TEXT: PACEPAC TO 22828 OR Register | Lost your password?.
Mr. Daniel I am Terence Author, And Founder of PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION, “A PEDESTRIAN AWARENESS CROSSWALK EDUCATION, public policy forum concerned with Public Transportation Policy in The United States. I would like to say, “Thank You! for noticing the increased activism in your part of the Tulsa Community.” It is observations like these that spark the creative interest in solutions that make the world better for all of us. Thanks again John, for your specificity-survey participation.
change.org Sign The Petition!
15TH STREET AND SOUTH LEWIS
According to the Tulsa World, The City of Tulsa says the project is being funded by the 2014 Penny Sales Tax. Officials say the rehabilitation project is expected to be finished at the end of the year. It will include moving waterlines as well as pavement and sidewalk replacement. It also includes rebuilding the entire South Lewis and East 15th Street intersection. The City of Tulsa has contracted with Tri-Star Construction for this $4,777,787 project funded by the 2008 Third Penny Sales Tax (Fix Our Streets).
WHAT’S SO UNIQUE ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR PROJECT?
This same type of Mid-Intersection Crosswalk treatment was engineered for the John Williams Way Street on Riverside Drive. Road safety infrastructure implementations are being put in place to protect vulnerable road users, including pedestrian bridges, bicycle paths, jogging trails, buildings with protective railings and sidewalk pavements along dangerous portions of roads exposed to road hazards because of space limitations and the increased levels of traffic due to businesses, population spurts and residential growth. New and better road signs and traffic lights are being installed.
One interesting European research group found that two thirds of all fatally-injured pedestrians are hit by the front of a car; 11% are hit by other parts of a car. Impacts with all other types of vehicle account for the remaining 23% of pedestrian fatalities (Miller TR, Galbraith MS, Lawrence BA. Costs and benefits of a community sobriety checkpoint program. Journal of Studies on Alcohol, 1998, 59:462–468.)
- This is one of the first parts of Tulsa, OK where Mid-Section Barrier Intersection Crosswalks are scheduled to be built with pedestrian public funding.
- The actual geographic feature to be converted into a Pedestrian Mid-Section Crossing.
- The outdated and malfunctioning signalized crosswalk features to be replaced by modern Automated Crosswalk Signals and equipment.
WHAT PROBLEMS DO MID-SECTION INTERSECTION BARRIERS HELP SOLVE?
A number of factors affecting the probability of a road traffic injury need to be considered within and guided transportation project design. The various types of risks related to road traffic injury, and the factors influencing these risks (Yang BM, Kim J. Road traffic accidents and policy interventions in Korea. Injury Control and Safety Promotion, 2003, 10:89–94.) are:
- For exposure to risk, the determinants include economic and demographic factors, level of motorization, modes of travel, the volume of unnecessary trips and land-use planning practices.
- For crash occurrence, the risk factors include excessive speed, drinking and driving, unsafe vehicles, unsafe road design, and the related lack of effective law enforcement and safety regulations.
- For injury severity, the risk factors include the non-use of seat-belts, child restraints and crash helmets; lack of “forgiving” vehicle fronts to protect pedestrians in a collision; roadside infrastructure that is unprotected in a crash; and human tolerance factors (dart outs and inattentive crossing).
- For post-crash injury outcomes, the risk factors include delays in detecting a crash and providing life-saving measures and psychological assistance; lack of or delayed emergency care on the spot and transport to a health facility; and the availability and quality of trauma care and rehabilitation.
In all of 2017 there was one traffic fatality on 15TH STREET AND SOUTH LEWIS. However, the propensity for vehicle conflicts, accidents and collisions and traffic injuries exists. On Jun 3, 2017 at around 08:10 PM on Us-64 On-Ramp, 1 Persons was fatally injured because the driver was drinking and driving. (http://www.city-data.com/accidents/acc-Tulsa-Oklahoma.html#googleStreetView)
For more information on construction projects involving street rehabilitation and crosswalk intersection improvements just log on to https://www.pacetulsa.com.
Giving Back to your community can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life!
LISTEN TO LIVE RADIO
Kellyanne Conway inadvertently made a strong case for not building President
How a 30-year-old was able to flip products from Walmart’s clearance aisles on Amazon to the tune of $6 million a year.
Whether you’re a marathon runner or just getting your steps in, there’s something here for you. From Esquire
United States drivers are stunned that they never knew this. If you drive less than 50 mi/day, you better read this…
The 45-year-old actress made light of the fact that a major newspaper confused her for the Duchess of Cambridge.
© 2019| PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION “Pedestrian Awareness Crosswalk Education is an online think-tank intersecting awareness of public transportation policy in the United States.”