MAYBE YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS BEEN TRAGICALLY IMPACTED BY AN ACCIDENT?
My heart broke 💔 when I heard about a pregnant woman that was involved in a hit-and-run accident outside of the BOK Event Center in Tulsa, OK.
The pregnant woman was leaving work exhausted, but feeling hopeful. As she crossed the street near the BOK Event Center, in a protected and marked crosswalk. That’s when a speeding blue SUV breached the barrier and struck the pregnant woman. The pregnant woman was holding her daughter’s hand.
As a result of the accident, the woman almost lost her unborn fetus and was left to die in the street with a broken leg. Almost immediately, a group of strangers formed a protective circle around her in the street the night of the accident, to protect her and her unborn fetus.
HOW DO PERCEPTIONS PLAY A ROLE IN PEDESTRIAN AWARENESS?
- Perception is the ability to see, hear or become aware of something through the senses.
- Perceptions are the way people organize and interpret their sensory input, or what they see and hear, and call it reality.
- Perceptions give meaning to a person’s environment and make sense of the world.
- Perceptions are important because people’s behaviors are based on their perception of what is reality.
WHY PEDESTRIAN COLLISIONS HAPPEN?
- Driver inattention
- Struck by vehicle while crossing at an intersection (50 percent of all collisions)
- Person struck by vehicle while crossing mid-block (33 percent of all collisions)
- Struck from behind while walking along the roadway in the same
- Bad direction as traffic (particularly in rural areas)
- Motorist exceeding safe speeds (contributes to most pedestrian deaths)
- Darting out into the street at mid-block (most common type of pedestrian collision for children)
- Vehicles backing up (difficult to see children and others walking behind)
- Collisions in urban areas (80 percent of all collisions)
WHAT PART DO I PLAY IN PACE TULSA NETWORK?
The cause of most accidents are not our fault.
Most accidents do not end in fatality.
Did you know over 80% of the people who are on a fixed income disability or under the poverty guideline do not have vehicles?
That is why organized travel and Public Transportation safety is so important to pedestrians.
Non-motorists depend on safe-space security, clearly marked & protected paths, organized traffic laws and planned destination travel daily.
More often crash survivors have the chains of death forever broken! Reassurance sets-in their minds. And suddenly; a painful feeling of loss takes over their will. However, in times of tragedy, we are expected to lay all of our troubles aside and focus on the road to recovery ahead.
Soon peace comes over our voice of anger & fear. More insight of the events which traumatized us becomes clearer in our rest.
We must constantly remind ourselves that accidents are accidents.
Need A Really Important Cause? Think about…
How can you do more?
People that want to give directly back to their communities stay involved in the causes that are important to them.
- ANSWERING PACE TULSA NETWORK SPECIFICITY SURVEYS
- Becoming a member of PACE TULSA NETWORK
- Submitting content, creative writings, podcasts, travel videos.
- Give us other ideas.about how to help Public Transportation Safety.
- Become a public safety advocate.
- Donate money
- Donate time
- Become an PACE_PAC Advisory Council Leader
- Help share other campaign events.
- Donate equipment
- Visit our site; write us; or call