Terence Morris, (@PACETULSAAGis the author and founder of PACETULSA a think-tank focusing on intersecting awareness of educational opportunities within pedestrian crosswalks and public transportation policy. February 2, 2017.
An alternate philosophical approach to diversity and feedback supporting market resilience.
Modularity is a general systems concept, typically defined as a continuum describing the degree to which a system’s components may be separated and recombined. It refers to both the tightness of coupling between components, and the degree to which the “rules” of the system architecture enable (or prohibit) the mixing and matching of components. Its use, however, can vary somewhat by context:
- In biology, modularity refers to the concept that organisms or metabolic pathways are composed of modules.
- In nature, modularity refers to the construction of a cellular organism by joining together standardized units to form larger compositions, as for example, the hexagonal cells in a honeycomb.
- In the Five Principles of New Media as defined by Lev Manovich, modularity covers the principle that new literary media caveat are composed: Of modules or Self-sufficient parts of the overall media object.
- In the study of networks, modularity (networks) is a benefit function that measures the quality of a division of a network into groups or communities.
- In manufacturing, modularity refers to the use of exchangeable parts or options in the fabrication of an object.
Modularity in Manufacturing Technology
The term modularity is widely used in studies of “technological and organizational” systems. Product systems are deemed “modular”, for example, when they can be separated into a number of components that may be mixed and matched in a variety of configurations. The components are able to connect, interact, or exchange resources (such as energy or data) in some way, by adhering to a standardized interface. Unlike a tightly integrated product whereby each component is designed to work specifically (and often exclusively) with other particular components in a tightly coupled system, modular products are systems of components that are “loosely coupled.”
© 2017 | PACE TULSA AGS FOUNDATION. “Pedestrian Awareness Crosswalk Education is an online think-tank intersecting awareness of public transportation policy in the United States.”
add another page.